here are 7 myths which don’t work in clearing up a baby’s nappy or diaper rash.
- Applying lemon juice to babys bum. This item has acids which in fact makes a nappy rash worse.
- using the alcohol rum.
- nettle leaves.
- wiping baby’s bum with a wipe soaked in tea leaves.
- vinegar again this item contains acid.
- coal dust.
here are some tips that do work which I have had experience in using over the past 26 years of working with babies .
- frequently changing of baby’s nappy.
- leaving baby without a nappy for as long as possible after a nappy change for example let baby play on a changing mat on the floor with a towel over in case of an accident.
- Applying creams such as sudocream soothes the soreness, using vaseline/petrolioum jelly acts as a nappy barrier,metanium smells weird and strong but works wonders.For babies with thrush a doctor may prescribe Nystatin can dye clothes the oral medicine too stains clothes just to make you aware.
- In severe nappy rashes and if baby is on solids avoid giving acid foods which can irritate a rash more such as fresh citrus fruit juices ,tomatoes etc.