This blog post contains upsetting information which some readers may find offensive if so, please press your back button now. Many people need this valuable information for a family with this comforting advice needed
When preparing for a sensitive baby funeral which hymns to sing is often a hard decision for parents. choosing an adult one is much easier when the person that passed away often has a firm favourite.
Its is much more difficult to get it right for a baby loss that was not expected at all.
Why you do not pick various nursery rhymes for a baby funeral.
Some nursery rhymes wrote about a 100 years agao are still going strong today. However there are too points to bear in mind.polictical correctness has changed plus some are in appropriate to say the least for a baby funeral.Ring a Ring a Roses talks about the black death. Rock a Bye baby talks about a baby falling out of a treee. three blind mice cutting their tales off the lsit goes on Mary Mary one of the King of Englands queens head being chopped off etc.So these are a no no for a funeral.
Use the funeral as an opportunity to give your baby treasured memories with a celebration of life, picking songs that children love and are popular kids favourites.These songs have been selected for you because you want to create a happy and loving atmosphere to say a final good bye. You can pick from any of these songs.Depending on an organaist or pianist but often a church may let you play a cd instead. check when the funeral director asks for your requirements. (P.S as a nursery nurse and sunday school teacher I wanted to let you know which children’s songs they love to hear over and over again based on my experience and a love of working with children)
These are funeral songs more suitable for babies and children that have passed away.
you can type a search on You Tube as everyone posts video clips of children/ adults singing them. if there are some that you have never heard or come across before.
- He’s got the whole world in his hands.
- If I were a butterfly,Id thank you lord for Giving me wings…
- Jesus bids us shine.
- Red and yellow and pink and green (rainbow song)
- Welcome to the family (type in on Google for a Salty cd use you tube to listen to any song before hand)
- This little light of mine.
- Somewhere over the rainbow.(Eva Casidy’s versions good)
- Twinkle twinkle little star.
- Insy winsy spider (relieves some of the awkrard tension, you can feel a smile as you do the actions).
- Row Row Row your boat gently down the stream.(first verse only can be repeated).
- Teddybears picnic(If you go down in the woods today)